Thursday, April 28, 2011

Join the Circus of Life

The following is what a friend posted online. I thought it fitting and hope everyone finds it enlightening.




Being mixed is like a tightrope act where you're forced to balance in the middle because of opposition at either extreme. There's hostility on both ends, but I've come to notice it more coming from black females. I hear things like "oh, she thinks she's so cute because she's light skinned and has hair," or "Quit trying to be black." Really. I may be beautiful but I'm not arrogant. I don't see how my skin or hair gives me reason to be "uppity" considering I've spent plenty of time (in the past) wishing for longer, straighter hair same as the darker sisters out there. Maybe you would be more attractive if you spent less time being bitter and jealous and more time enjoying yourselves. When it comes to people, I don't care what they look like or how they dress as long as there's basic hygiene. I care about how they treat me, how I feel in their presence. And I'm not TRYING to be black. I AM black. Black is not about dark skin or nappy hair or junk in the trunk. Its a code written in my DNA that says I'm the seed of a plant with half its roots in the same soil as yours. So why can't we be civil? A lot of black girls also seem to be under the impression that I'm a doormat just because I prefer to defuse a situation rather than escalate it to something unnecessary. Repeat after me. Half black does NOT mean half assed. On a final note, its pointless to try to generalize based off of my race because I am not one or the other. I'm in the grey. I am [name removed], and you can't categorize an individual. Stop hating me, and start loving yourself.

5 comments:

  1. This is a very deep post by your friend. I like their last line. It pretty much sums up everything they say and how they feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked this post, and i agree with sarah i like the very last line, cant agree more

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome post...it make u think alot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this definately made me think. and i also agree with sarah..that last line wraps it all up perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  5. really liked this post. definitely made me think... like everyone else said - it has a great last line.

    ReplyDelete